Metallurgy consulting for design and manufacturing
We provide metals engineering expertise to help clients with design and manufacturing decisions and problems. Projects we can help with include:
- Materials selection for components for new products
- Component cost reduction, quality improvement, and reliability improvement
- Supplier evaluation
- Manufacturing process development
- Failure analysis for quality problems and reliability problems
We’ve helped clients
- Cut component costs by using lower-cost alloys and alloys that enable easier, less-expensive fabrication to cut costs.
- Decrease risks to design schedules by selecting alloys that provide the needed reliability, so products pass tests the first time.
- Be more innovative by considering wider ranges of alloys and processing options that offer better component performance, better reliability, and lower cost.
- Fix quality problems faster by knowing how to get the information needed and what to do with the information to determine the root cause of the problem.
Part of your engineering staff
Most engineers understand the principles of design and manufacturing. We complement this by providing metals engineering expertise. We work with engineering teams to help get the information you need and use it to solve your problem.
Our industry experience includes automotive, aerospace, hardware, tools, medical and dental devices, plumbing, industrial equipment, machinery, electronics, and many more. Our materials experience includes ferrous metals, non-ferrous metals, coatings, and electronic materials.
We work on small and large projects and have worked with small, medium, and large companies.
How it works
Projects typically look like this:
- Review the project with you and collect background information. No charge for this.
- Provide a quote for the project scope and cost.
- Perform the work, provide updates, review findings with engineering team, decide on next steps.
- Provide a written report, if desired.
Let’s talk for a few minutes to discuss your project
Fill out the form below. Or just call or email 847.528.3467 firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to chat.
Check out these articles about my metallurgy consulting work
- Case Study: Material Selection for Drive Shaft
- 5 Materials Selection Steps for Superior Products: Overview
Michael Pfeifer’s Background
Michael received a B.S. and M.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from University of Illinois and a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Northwestern University. For over 25 years I’ve helped many companies optimize their materials and manufacturing processes, enabling them to design and manufacture successful products.
I’ve worked on every aspect of product development and manufacturing, and I know the pressure to optimize designs and quickly determine the root cause of product failures and manufacturing quality problems. My metallurgy background coupled with my design and manufacturing experience enables me to quickly understand your situation, work with you to lay out a plan, help you get the information you need, and help you use the information to get to the best outcome..
I also wrote a book – Materials Enabled Designs. It teaches how to select materials that optimize product performance, reliability, and cost. I apply these concepts to my metallurgy consulting projects.