Industrial Metallurgists, LLC provides materials engineering expertise and materials engineering training to help clients develop and manufacture products. We believe that understanding the science and engineering of materials has a huge impact on the ability to design and manufacture successful products that meet their performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
Michael Pfeifer is the President of Industrial Metallurgists, LLC. He has over 20 years experience working on projects for
- Product development (determining design requirements, materials selection, reliability testing)
- Manufacturing process development and quality improvement
- Supplier evaluation and selection
- Cost reduction
- Failure analysys and root cause analysis
He has a B.S. and M.S. in Metallurgical Engineering from University of Illinois and a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Northwestern University. He is a Professional Engineer, Licensed in Illinois.
Michael is the author of Materials Enabled Designs: The Materials Engineering Perspective to Product Design and Manufacturing.
Prior to Industrial Metallurgists, LLC Michael worked at Motorola as a manufacturing engineer in a high volume integrated circuit factory and as a design engineer for automotive electronics. In these roles he learned and applied principles of
- Statistical process control (SPC, now commonly referred to as six sigma)
- Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
- Design for manufacturing
- Design for reliability
to develop products, develop manufacturing processes, improve manufacturing quality, reduce manufacturing costs and cycle time, and perform root cause failure analysis.